Re: ALTER TABLE...ALTER COLUMN vs inheritance

From: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE...ALTER COLUMN vs inheritance
Date: 2010-06-16 18:19:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 5:31 AM, Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de> wrote:

> --On 15. Juni 2010 20:51:21 -0700 Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> Confirmed that this tests fine against commit id
>> 0dca7d2f70872a242d4430c4c3aa01ba8dbd4a8c
>>
>> I also wrote a little test script and verified that it throws an error
>> when I try to remove a constraint from the parent table.
>>

> Thanks for looking at this.
>
> Please note that the main purpose of this patch is to protect *child* tables
> against dropping NOT NULL constraints inherited from a parent table. This
> could lead to unrestorable dumps formerly.

Yes! I didn't say that right earlier -- sorry I should have attached
the test. I'll just try to add it and send it to you in patch form.

>> Should an explicit test be added for this?
>>

> I think so, yes.
>
>> There are some spelling and grammar errors in comments that I can help
>> fix if you want the help.
>
> You're welcome. I have pushed my branch to my git repos as well, if you like
> to start from there:
>
> <http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=bernd_pg.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/notnull_constraint>

Awesome! I'll have a look this afternoon.

And, I didn't really know what to say about the rest of the issues you
brought up around structuring the code, and the couple TODOs still
left in the patch.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me