Re: Stuff for 2.4.1

From: Harald Armin Massa <harald(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stuff for 2.4.1
Date: 2011-03-27 11:51:03
Lists: psycopg
Daniele,

> own parser for the bytea hex format, so that clients are no more >dependant on libpq 9 to talk with a 9 server.
>By the way the best way to make  this patch
>was to have our own parser for the "escape" format as well:
> this has generally improved performance in receiving bytea

compliments for doing performance improvements!

Are you really sure that psycopg2 should go the road of having own
parsers in addition to libpq-s routines? As much as I am happy about
the robustness when having other libpqs, and about the performance
benefit, as much I fear to have some new areas for possible bugs -
especially security-relevant things like SQL-injections.

Harald

--
Harald Armin Massa     www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL  Training, Services  and Support

2ndQuadrant Deutschland GmbH
GF: Harald Armin Massa
Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 736399