Re: the XID question

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Charles(dot)Hou" <givemeegn(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the XID question
Date: 2011-01-21 17:49:02
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Kevin Grittner
> "Charles.Hou" <givemeegn(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> my postgresql version is 8.1.3
>
> Ouch!  That's getting pretty old; I hope it's not on Windows.
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/news.865
>
>> you means the newer version has a virtual transaction ID. and
>> what's the maxmium of this virtual id,  also 4 billion ?
>> should i also vacuum freeze the virtual id in the new version when
>> it reached the 4 billion?
>
> The point is to reduce maintenance, not increase it -- you don't
> need to worry about cleaning these up.

And in fact, in more recent releases - particularly 8.4 and 9.0, the
need to worry about vacuum in general is much less.  There are many
improvements to both vacuum generally and autovacuum in particular
that make things much better, including enabling autovacuum by
default, multiple autovacuum worker threads, the visibility map, and
so on.  It's fairly likely that everything that the OP is struggling
with on 8.1 would Just Work on 8.4 or 9.0.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company