Re: libpq changes for synchronous replication

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq changes for synchronous replication
Date: 2010-11-25 13:47:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of vie nov 19 12:25:13 -0300 2010:
>>> Yeah.  You're adding a new fundamental state to the protocol; it's not
>>> enough to bury that in the description of a message format.  I don't
>>> think a whole lot of new verbiage is needed, but the COPY section needs
>>> to point out that this is a different state that allows both send and
>>> receive, and explain what the conditions are for getting into and out of
>>> that state.
>
>> Is it sane that the new message has so specific a name?
>
> Yeah, it might be better to call it something generic like CopyBoth.

Thanks for the review!

The attached patch s/CopyXLog/CopyBoth/g and adds the description
about CopyBoth into the COPY section.

While modifying the code, it occurred to me that we might have to add new
ExecStatusType like PGRES_COPY_BOTH and use that for CopyBoth mode,
for the sake of consistency. But since it's just alias of PGRES_COPY_BOTH
for now, i.e., there is no specific behavior for that ExecStatusType, I don't
think that it's worth adding that yet.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
libpqrcv_send_v3.patch application/octet-stream 11.0 KB