Re: Too many WAL(s) despite low transaction

From: Selva manickaraja <mavles78(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Too many WAL(s) despite low transaction
Date: 2011-04-01 02:14:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

Since the production database is running, I plan to do now is this

1. Set archive_timeout = 20m (Does the change require db restart to take
effect?)
2. Set autovacuum=on and track_count=on (Does the change require db restart
to take effect?)
Does that mean we are running autovacuum?
3. Run VACUUM FREEZE ANALYZE since bulk loading was done earlier. (Can this
be done while the db is active and on production?)

All 3 steps is to lower the WAL files that are being shipped out.

Is this a workable action to achieve the result required?

Please assist.

Thank you.

Regards,

Selvam