Re: SQL/MED - core functionality

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Shigeru HANADA <hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL/MED - core functionality
Date: 2010-12-14 14:43:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Shigeru HANADA
<hanada(at)metrosystems(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> I'll simplify the patch and post patches 1-4 of below first.
>
> <essential part>
> 1) Basic syntax for FOREIGN TABLE and FDW HANDLER
> 2) FDW API and ForeignScan execution
> # These patches are split just to make review easy.
>
> <FDW implementation>
> 3) pgsql_fdw
> 4) file_fdw
>
> <Additional features>
> 5) NOT NULL constraint and query-time evaluation
> 6) column-level FDW option
>    - syntax and catalog
>    - column alias option for pgsql_fdw
>    - force_not_null option for file_fdw
> 7) RULE

This seems like a good plan. As a procedural issue, please post
patches one and two on the same thread (perhaps this one), because
they can't be considered in isolation. Each of the remaining patches
should be posted to its own thread.

I've moved the SQL/MED patches to CommitFest 2011-01, and created a
topic for them, SQL/MED, since it seems like we'll end up with a bunch
of them to review.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company