Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Example indenting
Date: 2010-09-01 20:22:22
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

On 1 September 2010 18:26, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

>> > Not anymore than all the other stuff on the screen (like the search box,
>> > header and excess space between the breadcrumb, the title and the fast
>> > forward links).
>>
>> Uh, no, because that stuff is just at the top of the page; it doesn't
>> stay there while you scroll down.
>
> You may have missed the part where I said, it didn't move for me. :D
>
> Anyway, Thom is removing it so it doesn't really matter.
>
> JD

I'm coming round to the idea that if we wanted such a table of
contents, we'd generate it on the page when building the docs rather
than running some ECMAScript. I've already got a basic contents thing
showing on my version of the docs (see
http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/9.0/static/functions-xml.html ),
but I'm not happy with it. It looks out of place and there doesn't
seem to be any appropriate place to put the link to show it.

So rather than attempting to do this, do you think we should produce a
table of contents on pages containing 3rd and 4th-level chapter
headings? This would be in the same style as we currently have for
chapter introductions:
http://pgweb.darkixion.com:8081/docs/9.0/static/typeconv.html with the
only difference being that it would show the 3rd and 4th levels as
opposed to the 2nd and 3rd levels currently on chapter start pages.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion