Re: BUG #5752: installer does not give proper os privileges on folders

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Kasia Tuszynska <ktuszynska(at)esri(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5752: installer does not give proper os privileges on folders
Date: 2010-12-21 11:51:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Apologies for the delay in replying.

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Kasia Tuszynska <ktuszynska(at)esri(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      5752
> Logged by:          Kasia Tuszynska
> Email address:      ktuszynska(at)esri(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0.1
> Operating system:   Windows 2008 R2 (64bit)
> Details:
>
> Tested:
> The one click Postgres 64bit installer for 9.0.0 and 9.0.1
>
> Tested on:
> windows 2008 64bit
> windows 2008 R2 - which is only 64bit
> UAC was turned off
> password strength was disabled
>
> Problem: crying to create a tablespace gives error: could not set
> permissions on directory C:\.....\tablespace_name" Permission denied
>
> work around: grant the users group full control privileges on the tablespace
> folder

We've been unable to reproduce this issue, either on Windows Server,
or Windows 7. When the installer sets the permissions on the data
directory, it does so on the top level, recursively. Because of this,
I would expect operations like CREATE DATABASE to suffer from similar
issues, as the permissions on all subdirectories should be the same.

As I type this however, I wonder if the issue you are seeing is not
that the link between the data directory and the desired tablespace
directory cannot be created, but that Postgres cannot write to the
tablespace directory that you've created. You need to create the
tablespace something like this:

- Create the new tablespace directory, eg. c:\test
- Grant full control on c:\test to the PostgreSQL service account
(usually postgres)
- Create the tablespace in psql or pgAdmin.

Are you missing the second step perhaps?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company