Re: finding bogus UTF-8

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn(at)zewt(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: finding bogus UTF-8
Date: 2011-02-11 00:44:00
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>wrote:

> I know that I have at least one instance of a varchar that is not valid
> UTF-8, imported from a source with errors (AMA CPT files, actually) before
> PG's checking was as stringent as it is today. Can anybody suggest a query
> to find such values?

I hit this problem too, if I remember correctly when trying to upgrade a
database from 8.3 to 8.4. I ended up aborting the upgrade, since the
upgrade documentation made no mention of this and I didn't have time to dig
into it at the time. A tool to find all instances of this would be very
helpful.

--
Glenn Maynard