Re: Stumped by a version conflict.

From: Patric Michael <bluestar43(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stumped by a version conflict.
Date: 2010-07-17 05:39:19
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi Greg...

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> Patric Michael wrote:
>
>> /usr/share/pgsql/postgresql.conf.sample
>> /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
>> /home/archives/db/postgresql.conf
>> /home/postgres/data/postgresql.conf
>>
>> The first line is the --datadir as reported by pg_configure --configure
>> The second line is the 7.4 data dir according to its PG_VERSION
>> The third line was a directory backup I made when I upgraded to 8.1
>> The fourth line is the most recently updated database according to the
>> time stamps. (three days ago)
>>

> Is there a PG_VERSION suggesting the 4th one is an 8.1 system?  It's
> completely possible you manually started the database cluster like this:

Nope.  The PG_VERSION in the last one shows 7.4

> pg_ctl start -D /home/postgres/data

It would be consistent that I did manually start the cluster, given that the
uptime was considerably longer than two years.

> And that's the one that's been running for the last two years.  The default
> system PostgreSQL install is going to point at /var/lib/pgsql/data by
> default and try to start whatever database is there, which is the 7.4 one
> and therefore won't start with your current binaries.

Correct, but I did edit the scripts to point to the current data directory.
Further, trying to manually start the cluster now using the command above
give me this:

FATAL:  database files are incompatible with server
DETAIL:  The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.4, which
is not compatible with this version 8.1.11.

Which is of course what has me stumped.  I cannot shake the idea that I am
forgetting or missing something really simple or obvious, and that when I
figure it out there'll be a dent in the desk from where I've been banging my
head on it.  :)