Re: German translation bug

From: "Harald Armin Massa[legacy]" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: German translation bug
Date: 2011-01-12 11:36:31
Lists: pgadmin-support

> Somebody translated the word host by using the word Server.
> > Which is totally confusing.
> > I didn't expect that I have to fill the host in a field that is named
> > server.
> >
> > The German word for host is Host.

I have used "host" in German IT-Speak for

a) for "big iron", as in /370 and ES/9000 (see also link provided by
Jasmin)
b) the host machine of virtual machines (gastgeber-rechner)

and have even seen the wording "Wir bieten Server-Hosting" (we offer to have
your Servers in our racks...)

I concur that "Host" and "Server" both are valid translations of the "host"
field. I think translation "Server" predates my translation efforts by
years.

So our options are:

a) change "Server" to "Host" and make it easier for some of the newcomers
and invalidate all existing external documentations
b) change "Server" to "Server/Host" to make it easier for some of the
newcomers and only partly invalidate all existing external documentations
c) leave it as it is
d) change it to Server (Netzwerkadresse), thereby only partly invalidate all
existing external documetation but being more explicit

I recommend to go with d), especially as in a modern hardware there may be
more then one PostgreSQL cluster (with or without virtual machine around it)
listeing to different IP-Interfaces.

opinions?

Harald

--