Re: Ideas for new features

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pg <pg(at)kuhnsteffen(dot)de>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ideas for new features
Date: 2010-08-23 09:18:53
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:10, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 (ticket added, #228).
>>
>> And closed it again. This is extremely unlikely to happen - it would
>> require significant code changes, would significantly increase load on
>> the server, and is of extremely limited use.
>
> I'll buy the significant code-changes, but I dont' see how it would
> necessarily increase the load on the server. Maybe because I don't
> know pgagent enough - can you explain how?

Jobs are stored in the database with a 'next run' time that is
recalculated from the schedules each time the job runs or is modified.
The agent polls the database for jobs that are at, or past their next
run time every minute by default. To reduce the resolution to 10
seconds or even 1 second, we'd need to start polling the database at
least every 10 or 1 second(s).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com