Re: On Scalability

From: Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers and Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On Scalability
Date: 2010-07-30 10:24:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

2010/7/29 Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>:

>> Or maybe checking against the source code and its documentation, if any.
>
> No, not really.  What you really want to know is: what's the real
> planner overhead of having dozens/hundreds of partial indexes?  What's
> the write overhead?  There's no way you can derive that from the source
> code faster than you can test it.

Again, as the test would be rather killing for my group at this stage.

I think that knowing whether certain parts have been implemented
with linear or sub-linear (or whatever else) algorithms would
give good insights about scalability.

At a first glance it seems that for inheritance some bottleneck is
hindering a full exploit for table partitioning.

Is there anyone who knows whether those algorithms are linear or not?

And of course, I agree that real tests on real data will provide the real thing.

--
Vincenzo Romano at NotOrAnd Information Technologies
Software Hardware Networking Training Support Security