Re: thousand unrelated data files in pg_default tablespace

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: thousand unrelated data files in pg_default tablespace
Date: 2010-08-30 17:33:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I found a PostgreSQL 8.3 server (Linux) used for large OLAP where the
>> data directory is bloating. There are more than one hundred thousand
>> files - 8KB or 0KB long. The filenames are not transformable to names
>> via oid2name. Does somebody know about similar bug?
>
> 1. 8.3.what?

postgres=# select version();
version
PostgreSQL 8.3.6 on x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc
(GCC) 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)
(1 row)

> 2. Any signs of distress in the postmaster log?  I'm wondering about
> being unable to complete checkpoints, or repeated backend crashes that
> might cause leakage of temp tables.

No, there are nothing

> 3. What's in the files --- do they appear to be tables, indexes, random
> temp files from sorts/hashes, or what?  pg_filedump might help you here.

I have to contact admin tomorrow. For now - one half was zero length,
second half was almost empty. These files are in directory related to
pg_default tablespace.

Regards

Pavel Stehule