Re: Building with wx2.9 on Mac

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Building with wx2.9 on Mac
Date: 2011-02-24 02:52:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On 23 February 2011 23:51, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> It seems that the wxWidgets guys have fixed the issue with 2.9 on Mac,
> so I was able to try out a build today. Attached is the patch for your
> review. Aside from an issue with the font selector dialog (which seems
> to work OK now, thus the workaround which is broken on 2.9 anyway
> isn't required), the main issue I see is this:

Good. How many of the remaining 2.9 bugs that I reported were you able
to reproduce on the Cocoa build? Did you see:

* Any distortion of AUI elements, other than the distortion visible in
toolbar.png .

* Table editor segfaulting when text and serial datums are edited, but
not when integer and numeric datums are edited.

* Splash screen not displaying.

My suspicion is that you won't see most or all of these bugs, because
they specifically relate to wxGTK-2.9.

> ./dlg/dlgDatabase.cpp: In member function ‘bool
> dlgDatabase::executeDDLSql(const wxString&)’:
> ./dlg/dlgDatabase.cpp:425: error: request for member ‘GetClientData’
> is ambiguous
> /usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/ctrlsub.h:297: error: candidates are:
> void* wxItemContainer::GetClientData(unsigned int) const
> /usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/event.h:3204: error:
> void* wxEvtHandler::GetClientData() const
>
> It's easily fixed (albeit somewhat ugly) as can be seen in the patch -
> but I'm somewhat baffled about why the compiler thinks the two
> functions listed are both candidates, given that one takes an argument
> and the other doesn't. Any ideas?

Yeah, that's fairly ugly. The issue you're experiencing doesn't make
much sense to me. I've done an SVN update, and am at a commit 20
minutes before you sent your e-mail. Since I can still build this fine
against wxGTK-2.9, it stands to reason it's a bug in wxWidgets,
perhaps down to platform #ifdefs. I would not commit the patch, but
report the bug.

I note that this occurs with wxComboBoxs. I don't have time to look at
the platform specific implementation in detail right now, but I
suspect the dastardly diamond problem (Do other people call it
dastardly or is that just me? I can't remember) has occurred, what
with the extensive use of multiple inheritance. Take a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_inheritance

> - The toolbars have button labels displayed through them for some
> reason (see the attached screenshot).

This may sound silly, but are you sure that just isn't how tooltips
are supposed to be displayed with Cocoa? The icons are faded/inactive
at the same time as their tooltips. It looks deliberate. If so, maybe
you should use an #ifdef to customise the appearance of the toolbar
tooltips on Cocoa.

> - Highlighting text in the STC has a weird effect on lower parts of
> the sae window (see the attached screenshot).

Looks like another upstream WX bug.

> - The wxDIALOG_MODAL flag seems to be gone.

This:

http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/6601

indicates that that flag is obsolete, and it's 7 years old. Does the
absence of the flag have any noticeable behavioural effect? I doubt
that it does.

--
Regards,
Peter Geoghegan