Re: Help loading data. Error code page 850

From: Michael Wood <esiotrot(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: chris chris <cpatrouch(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help loading data. Error code page 850
Date: 2011-02-18 19:22:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi

On 18 February 2011 18:52, chris chris <cpatrouch(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> -------------begin message--------------
> 1.  Warning: Console code page (850) differs from Windows code page (1252)
> 8-bit characters may not work correctly. See psql reference
> page "Notes for Windows users" for details.
> After searching and reading, I am still not sure how to remedy this error.
> I suspect it is important, as I have not been able to load any data to my
> introductory database.  Could anyone point me to some basic, step by step
> instructions?
> A recent thread to which Bob Pawley, Adrian Klavar (and perhaps elsewhere,
> Tamar Tahir) have contributed touches upon solutions to the problem.  Also,
> I came across the following in the PostgresQL 9.0.3 Documentation:
> Notes for Windows users
>
> psql is built as a "console application". Since the Windows console windows
> use a different encoding than the rest of the system, you must take special
> care when using 8-bit characters within psql. If psql detects a problematic
> console code page, it will warn you at startup. To change the console code
> page, two things are necessary:
>
> Set the code page by entering cmd.exe /c chcp 1252. (1252 is a code page
> that is appropriate for German; replace it with your value.) If you are
> using Cygwin, you can put this command in /etc/profile.

I have not used Postgres on Windows, but have you tried typing
"cmd.exe /c chcp 1252" in the command prompt window before running
psql?

> Set the console font to Lucida Console, because the raster font does not
> work with the ANSI code page.

Do you know how to do this and did you do it (as well as changing the
code page) before running psql?

So, I suppose what I would try is the following:

1.) Open up a Command Prompt window.
2.) Type "cmd.exe /c chcp 1252"
3.) Click on the icon on the left of the title bar and choose
Properties and then in the Font tab, choose "Lucida Console" as the
font.
4.) Run whatever command you were trying to run when you got the warning.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot(at)gmail(dot)com>