Re: Proposal for 9.1: WAL streaming from WAL buffers

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal for 9.1: WAL streaming from WAL buffers
Date: 2010-06-14 12:41:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Maybe.  That sounds like a pretty enormous foot-gun to me, considering
> that we have no way of recovering from the situation where the standby
> gets ahead of the master.

No, we can do that by reconstructing the standby from the backup.

And, that situation is not a problem for users including me who prefer to
perform a failover when the master goes down. Of course, we can just restart
the master in that case, but it's likely to take longer than a failover
because there would be a cause of the crash. For example, if the master goes
down because of a media crash, the master would never start up unless PITR
is performed. So I'm not sure how many users prefer a restart to a failover.

> We should get the open item fixed for 9.0 here before we start
> worrying about 9.1.

Yep, so I was submitting some patches in these days :)

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center