Re: profiling connection overhead

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: profiling connection overhead
Date: 2010-11-28 05:01:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> Not sure that information moves us forward.  If the postmaster cleared
> the memory, we would have COW in the child and probably be even slower.

Well, we can determine the answers to these questions empirically.  I
think some more scrutiny of the code with the points you and Andres
and Tom have raised is probably in order, and probably some more
benchmarking, too.  I haven't had a chance to do that yet, however.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company