Re: Table-design for categories, suggestions needed

From: Rikard Bosnjakovic <rikard(dot)bosnjakovic(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table-design for categories, suggestions needed
Date: 2010-08-05 22:50:54
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 18:57, Richard Broersma
<richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Then in a table (perhaps called componentattributes), you can
> enumerate all of the attributes that you want to assign to any given
> component.

[...]

This looks like a nice design - it will probably fit very well.

One thing I didn't manage do understand how I would find the
categories "above" the selected one. In my first example;  IC -> Logic
-> TTL. If I add a component using the attribute table, like yours,
and set it to "TTL", how should I keep track of the categories above
TTL?

I realize I was unclear in my original post on this matter, but this
is why I did sort of "linked lists" in my category-table to be able to
keep track of the whole category chain for a component

What I mean is, when I add components I am supposed to pick a top
category (IC in this case). Clicking this should bring up
subcategories for the category IC (Logic, Microcontrollers, or
whatever), and so on until the proper attribute has been found.

Perhaps a better example is an Ebay-listing. For a random page I have
open right now I see at the top: "Listed in category: Mobile & Home
Phones > Mobile Phone Accessories > Other Mobile Phone Accessories >
Other Mobile Phone Accessories".

This "chain" is what I'm trying to duplicate.

--
- Rikard