Re: WIP patch for parallel pg_dump

From: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP patch for parallel pg_dump
Date: 2010-12-02 13:34:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 6:19 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> I don't see the point of the sort-by-relpages code. The order the objects
> are dumped should be irrelevant, as long as you obey the restrictions
> dictated by dependencies. Or is it only needed for the multiple-target-dirs
> feature? Frankly I don't see the point of that, so it would be good to cull
> it out at least in this first stage.

A guy called Dimitri Fontaine actually proposed the
serveral-directories feature here and other people liked the idea.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-02/msg01061.php  :-)

The code doesn't change much with or without it, and if people are no
longer in favour of it, I have no problem with taking it out.

As Dimitri has already pointed out, the relpage sorting thing is there
to start with the largest table(s) first.

Joachim