Re: Simple table creation

From: Craig Barnes <cjbarnes18(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL - Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Simple table creation
Date: 2011-03-08 20:58:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi Didier

On 8 March 2011 14:24, Didier Gasser-Morlay <didiergm(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Craig,
>
> 1. ODBC is not fast by nature adding a layer on top of the direct access
> libraries. Can you dump from cobol to text delimited file (or fixed length)
> and then up into Postgres ?

The native reporting tool "Impromptu" uses the same ODBC link and transfers
data at a significantly faster rate, Unfortunately it seems to have a file
size cap of 4GB, although I've not yet tried a CSV output, will give that a
go.

2. when you say 'Raises an error': what error do you get ?

The error unfortunately does not help much, it complains about not being
able to access a file under /var/log/ but this itself is a bug on a widows
machine, so I don't get to see the underlying error (I am working on a bug
report).

3. 4 millions rows seems like a fairly sizeable amount of data, have you
> checked you have enough space on the disk where the Postgres DB resides ?

Yes, plenty of space, it's a new data only disk. I will monitor C:\ drive
space on the next attempt in case its a temp space issue.

> 4. Can't you do your upload piece by piece; I would have thought that out
> of the n millions rows, a large chunk are historical data which do not need
> to be exported on a daily basis.

Indeed, I will only need incremental data following the initial dump for
most tables, I am working on an incremental data dump Python script where
time permits, this is how I intend to maintain the data.

It would be nice to get a good head start while I work on this, plus it will
allow me to get some metrics to justify the time investment on the scripts.

Either way I have a way forward, Just would be handy if anyone knew of a
good tool for the initial data dump.

> Didier

Thank you for ideas and suggestions, you have given me some new thngs to
try, I will feedback how I get on.

Craig