Re: How to add constraints without validating data.

From: Nilesh Govindarajan <lists(at)itech7(dot)com>
To: Iñigo Martinez Lasala <imartinez(at)vectorsf(dot)com>
Cc: Amit jain <amitjain(at)synechron(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to add constraints without validating data.
Date: 2010-05-27 16:32:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Iñigo Martinez Lasala
<imartinez(at)vectorsf(dot)com> wrote:
> Constraints are special triggers, but triggers anyway.
>
> So, If you truncate the table, create the contraint and then restore with
> triggers disabled, it could be faster that create the contraint and wait
> until it checks all table data... or not... :)

I agree constraints are triggers. But as far as I know, truncating
table doesn't disable the constraints.
Its same as deleteing all rows and then altering the table.
In that manner, even my solution would be appropriate because it
creates a duplicate table with the constraints.
Whatever be the method, I don't think its possible to avoid the
constraints. Correct me if I'm wrong.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Facebook: nilesh.gr