Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Interruptible sleeps (was Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Yay, Kevin! Thanks, reviewers!)
Date: 2010-09-02 03:46:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> The obvious next question is how to wait for multiple sockets and a latch at
> the same time? Perhaps we should have a select()-like interface where you
> can pass multiple file descriptors. Then again, looking at the current
> callers of select() in the backend, apart from postmaster they all wait for
> only one fd.

Currently backends have not waited for multiple sockets, so I don't think that
interface is required for now. Similarly, we don't need to wait for the socket
to be ready to *write* because there is no use case for now.

>> Windows implementation of WaitLatchAndSocket() seems not to be
>> so simple. We would need to wait for both the latch event and
>> the packet from the socket by using WaitForMultipleObjectsEx().
>
> Well, we already use WaitForMultipleObjectsEx() to implement select() on
> Windows, so it should be straightforward to copy that. I'll look into that.

Agreed.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao