Change view with dependencies function: PG 8.3

From: Thangalin <thangalin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il
Subject: Change view with dependencies function: PG 8.3
Date: 2010-09-10 15:14:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

Found Sim's functions:

http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org/msg57733.html

How do you run the viewchanger function? I have tried:

SELECT 1 FROM viewchanger( 'beplanallcover',
"CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW beplanallcover AS
SELECT DISTINCT p.personid, ... WHERE p.personid='1234'" )

The error message is:

ERROR: function CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW beplanallcover AS
SELECT DISTINCT p.pe() does not exist
HINT: No function matches the given name and argument types. You may need
to add explicit type casts.

I do not know why *p.personid* is being changed to *p.pe()*.

I could not find much information on whether 8.4 provides a native facility
to change a VIEW's underlying query statement without having to drop all
dependencies. (I noticed there is an ALTER VIEW and mechanism to add
columns.) Any information on other solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Dave