Re: Clustering features for upcoming developer meeting -- please claim yours!

From: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clustering features for upcoming developer meeting -- please claim yours!
Date: 2010-05-10 20:25:52
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers

On 5/10/10, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> On 5/10/2010 1:39 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > Aside from that list, I'd like to get into a little more detail on DDL
> > > triggers. This seems to be something I could actually work on in the
> > > future.
> > >

> > Is this the same thing as the general modification trigger?
> >

> To my understanding, the general modification triggers are meant to unify
> the "data" queue mechanisms, both Londiste and Slony are based on, under one
> new, built in mechanism with the intention to cut down the overhead
> associated with them.
>
> There is certainly a big need to coordinate this project with any attempts
> made in the direction of DDL triggers. I think it is obvious that I would
> later on like to make use of them within Slony to replicate schema changes.
> This of course requires that such schema changes get applied on the
> replica's at the correct place inside the data stream. For example, if you
> "ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN", you want to replicate all DML changes, that
> happened before that ALTER TABLE grabbed its exclusive lock, before that
> ALTER TABLE itself. And it would be quite disastrous to attempt to apply any
> INSERT that happened on the master with that new column before the ALTER
> TABLE happened on the replica.

AFAICS the "agreeable order" should take care of positioning:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/ModificationTriggerGDQ#Suggestions_for_Implementation

This combined with DML triggers that react to invalidate events (like
PgQ ones) should already work fine?

Are there situations where such setup fails?

--
marko