Re: pg_dump locking info

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump locking info
Date: 2010-08-15 21:01:30
Lists: pgsql-docs
On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 5:47 AM, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
> In the docs for version 9.0, I think the following from
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/migration.html should be
> updated to make mention of streaming replication:
>
> "It is also possible to use replication methods, such as Slony, to
> create a standby server with the updated version of PostgreSQL."

Presumably this would be a negative mention, since SR wouldn't work
for this case.  Really, though, the core technology here is not SR but
WAL-shipping, which we've had for a long time.

> Of course, this page doesn't make any mention of pg_upgrade for
> upgrading from 8.3+ and probably should.

Yeah.  Another random nitpick on this page is that "Or use an
intermediate file if you wish." isn't actually a complete sentence.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company