Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Efficient transaction-controlled synchronous replication.

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, MARK CALLAGHAN <mdcallag(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Efficient transaction-controlled synchronous replication.
Date: 2011-03-25 12:12:05
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 4:29 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 20:19 +0100, Markus Wanner wrote:
>> Simon,

>> On other nodes as well?  To me that means the standby needs to hold back
>> COMMIT of an ACKed transaction, until receives a re-ACK from the master,
>> that it committed the transaction there.  How else could the slave know
>> when to commit its ACKed transactions?
>
> We could do that easily enough, actually, if we wished.
>
> Do we wish?

No.

I'm not sure what's the problem with seeing from the standby the data which is
not visible on the master yet? And, I'm really not sure whether that problem can
be solved by making the data visible on the master before the standby. If we
really want to see the consistent data from each node, we should implement
and use a cluster-wide snapshot as well as Postgres-XC does.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center