Re: BUG #5475: Problem during Instalation

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joel Henrique <joel(at)cefet-al(dot)br>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5475: Problem during Instalation
Date: 2010-06-09 13:16:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Craig Ringer
<craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
> On 09/06/10 18:09, Dave Page wrote:
>
>> I'm unconvinced that the extra complexity involved in checking the
>> existence of the service account to tweak the message is worthwhile. I
>> don't think it buys us extra simplicity that would suddenly make
>> people understand.
>
> In the end, you know this much better than me, but thanks for listening
> to me and giving considered comments.

Well we have been through many of these issues before, but that
doesn't mean you won't have better ideas that we haven't thought
about.

> Personally I still think the UI is confusing (double-entry of existing
> password, mixing service account and db superuser into single password)
> but alternatives may not be any less confusing. In fact, I tried to mock
> up a few and found that they all required WAY too much knowledge of the
> difference between the service and db accounts, etc, to be viable, or
> boiled down to the current one with more babble.

FYI, under the hood of the installer, the two passwords are separate,
so advanced users can control them independently on the command line.

> Unless service account and db user account are separated (which only
> makes sense if the service account password management can be made
> transparent in some way, which it seems it can't really) then the
> current way is pretty good once you really dig down and compare it to
> the alternatives.

Yeah - we used to have them completely independent in the MSI
installers, and some people found that very confusing too. One of the
major design aims of the 'one-clicks' was to simplify the process
significantly.

> Once again, thanks for taking the time to go through it.

No problem. Thanks for the ideas. Keep 'em coming :-)

--
Dave Page
The Enterprise Postgres Company