Re: Keepalives win32

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pavel Golub <pavel(at)gf(dot)microolap(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Keepalives win32
Date: 2010-06-30 14:52:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:48, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 16:27, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> It's hard to argue about this when most of us have no idea what these
>>> "system defaults" are, or whether they really are any different from the
>>> RFC values in the first place, or whether ordinary users know how to
>>> alter them or even find out their values.  Please provide some
>>> background if you want intelligent comments.
>
>> The system defaults are whatever the user has configured at a machine
>> level (by editing the registry, by hand or by tool (including
>> policies)). I doubt many users have configured them by hand. There may
>> well be tools that do it for them.
>
> But you previously stated that this code was ignoring the registry
> values.  So doesn't "system defaults" boil down to whatever Windows'
> wired-in defaults are?

The order is Windows wired-in-defaults -> registry values -> what app chooses.

And yes, we *are* ignoring whatever the user has put in the registry,
making our path Windows documented-wired-in-defaults -> what app
chooses if we do this.

Windows default for idle is 2 hours, for interval 1 second.

Assume the user had reconfigured his default in the registry to 1 hour.

If the user makes no config change at all, that means it will run with
1 hour for idle and 1 second for interval.

If we now set tcp_interval to 10 seconds (to change the default), we
will now also change his idle value back to the system default, so he
will get 2 hours for idle and 10 seconds for interval. Thus, we are
ignoring the changes he made globally on his system.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/