Re: Is regular vacuuming with autovacuum needed?

From: Peter Koczan <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is regular vacuuming with autovacuum needed?
Date: 2010-08-16 20:47:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> If autovac is properly configured, very few, if any, PostgreSQL
> databases need routine vacuuming jobs.  However, other than sleep
> states making it run slower, autovacuum is no different than a regular
> old vacuum.  Are you sure this wasn't a vacuum full, which is almost
> never a desired operation to be regularly scheduled?

I'm sure it wasn't a full vacuum. I almost never do those and when I
do, I have to schedule downtime.

I think another process got hung up somewhere and couldn't release its
lock on the table in question, and there were several other processes
waiting. It's possible that it was just a symptom of a larger problem
at the time. I didn't have time to do a thorough analysis (and the
problem state is lost now), and what was cause vs. effect is probably
immaterial at this point.

Peter