Re: issue about information_schema REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Bugs List <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: issue about information_schema REFERENTIAL_CONSTRAINTS
Date: 2010-09-12 00:24:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-docs

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> We are not going to try to enforce uniqueness.  This has been debated
> before, and most people like the current behavior just fine, or at least
> better than the alternatives.

Really? I thought the issue was that no one had figured out how to do
it, or that no one had written the patch, not that anyone thought the
current behavior was particularly desirable. What happens if you say
ALTER TABLE .. DROP CONSTRAINT or COMMENT ON CONSTRAINT? You just
pick one at random? That's really what most people want?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company