Re: MySQL HandlerSocket - Is this possible in PG?

From: Michael Ben-Nes <michael(at)epoch(dot)co(dot)il>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL HandlerSocket - Is this possible in PG?
Date: 2010-12-21 15:17:07
Lists: pgsql-performance
Hi Pavel,

Thanks for your quick answer. Can you please elaborate a bit more about the
points bellow.

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Hello
>
> you can emulate it now.
>
> a) try to do a simple stored procedure, where you can wrap your query

Do you mean I should use PREPARE?

b) use a FAST CALL API to call this procedure

Currently I use PHP to access the DB which use libpq. Is that cosidered a
fast call API ? if not, can you please refer me to the right info.

> c) use a some pool tool for pooling and persisting sessions

PHP pg_pconnect command open a persistent PostgreSQL connection. Is it
enough or I better use PgPool2 or something similar?

Considering the points above, will I be able to get such high QPS from
PostgreSQL ? If so, it will be my pleasure to dump Reddis and work solely
with PG :)

Thanks,
Miki

> Regards
>
> Pavel Stehule
>
> 2010/12/21 Michael Ben-Nes <michael(at)epoch(dot)co(dot)il>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just stumbled on the following post:
> >
> http://yoshinorimatsunobu.blogspot.com/2010/10/using-mysql-as-nosql-story-for.html
> >
> > The post claim that MySQL can do more qps then MemCahed or any other
> NoSQL
> > when doing simple queries like: SELECT * FROM table WHERE id=num;
> >
> > And I wonder if:
> >
> > 1. Currently, is it possbile to achive the same using PG 9.0.x
> > 2. Is it possible at all?
> >
> > It seems to me that if such gain is possible, PG should benefit from that
> > significantly when it comes to Key/Value queries.
> >

> > Best,
> > Miki

Michael Ben-Nes - Internet Consultant and Director.
http://www.epoch.co.il - weaving the Net.
Cellular: 054-4848113