Re: can we publish a aset interface?

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: can we publish a aset interface?
Date: 2010-09-07 13:27:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 4:53 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I would to use a special memory context for shared data (based on
>> mmap) and I like impementation of aset. There is only one difference -
>> aset is based on malloc and I would to use a mmap.
>>
>> malloc() is used in AllocSetContextCreate and AllocSetAlloc. These
>> procedures should be overwritten, but other code and data structures
>> can be used. This step can be useful for previous discuss about some
>> more comfortable maintaining of shared memory.
>>
>> What do you think about?
>
> What would this be good for?

I try to solve performance problems with czech tsearch. I checked
serialization and deserialization, but this decrease load time only to
100ms (from 500) that is too much for us. After some gaming with mmap
I thinking so there some chance to preallocate mmap memory, and then
use a special memory context based on mmap instead of malloc.
Teoretically I can copy aset interface - this module probably never be
in core (this problem is probably local - only Czech), but it isn't
nice. So I asking.

Regards

Pavel Stehule