Re: XA Xid to PostgreSQL transaction ID

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XA Xid to PostgreSQL transaction ID
Date: 2010-10-19 20:04:17
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 8:06 PM, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> wrote:

>> I'd like to implement the mapping algorithm exactly the way the JDBC
>> driver does, as it would allow tools written in Python to interoperate
>> to ones written in Java and understand each other the XA components of
>> the transaction IDs.
>
> I'm not sure how valuable that will really be.  This information should
> really only be useful to a transaction manager(TM), so I'm not sure what
> interoperability would gain.  No TM is going to start a Java transaction and
> later try to recover it using a Python client (or the other way around).

Yes, it may not happen that such tool exist. But because we have the
same xid <-> str mapping problem the jdbc driver has had, seems
reasonable to solve it the same way. On the other hand the jdbc
solution has the shortcoming of producing not readable strings: I
don't know either if this is a valuable property. I will discuss with
the other developers about the two possibilities.

>> As a test I have in the test suite the triple (42, 'gtrid', 'bqual')
>> is converted into the string '42_Z3RyaWQ=_YnF1YWw=': I'd like to know,
>> if possible, if this is the same result obtained by the JDBC driver.

> Yes, this is the same result as the JDBC driver.

Best regards,

-- Daniele