Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix log_temp_files docs and comments to say bytes not kilobytes.

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix log_temp_files docs and comments to say bytes not kilobytes.
Date: 2010-07-06 20:01:30
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>> OK, so I talked to Bruce about this and I guess I've been persuaded
>> that we should just apply the patch I sent upthread to HEAD and leave
>> the back-branches broken, for fear of creating an incompatibility.
>>

> The only thing that might be appropriate to backport is the docs fix, change
> "kilobytes" to "bytes" in config.sgml where the parameter is described.  The
> bug complaint here was mad at the documentation not matching the behavior,
> rather than the behavior itself.  I agree with the change to HEAD you've
> suggested though, that's the right way to do this for future releases.
>
> This change is something worth mentioning in the release notes for 9.0 too.

I talked about that with Bruce. It wouldn't actually be sufficient to
just say "it's in bytes", because if you do "show log_temp_files",
it'll tell you that it's in kB, but it's really not. So we'd need to
basically explain that it's a bug we're not fixing for fear of
breaking existing installations. Bruce felt it wasn't worth putting
that amount of work into backbranch docs that nobody's likely to read
anyway, but I suppose that view could be overruled if there's a strong
consensus.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company