Re: Explanation of pg_authid.rolpassword

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Explanation of pg_authid.rolpassword
Date: 2010-09-13 01:35:01
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Oh, I see.  But I still don't think we really need to provide specific
>> examples of what you get when you MD5 particular values... except for
>> people who can run the MD5 algorithm in reverse in their head, that
>> doesn't seem like it's adding anything.  Second try:
>>
>> Either the user's unencrypted password (if the UNENCRYPTED option was
>> used when creating the role or if password_encryption is off), or the
>> string 'md5' followed by a 32-character hexadecimal md5 hash.  The md5
>> hash will be of the user's password concatenated to their username
>> (e.g. if user joe has password xyzzy, PostgreSQL will store the md5
>> hash of xyzzyjoe).  If the user has no password, this column will be
>> NULL.
>
> This version is fine by me.

Upon reading the code I find I'm not entirely happy with it, because
the parenthesized condition is not quite accurate. It's already
explained (more accurately) in the documentation for CREATE ROLE, so
we ought to try not to duplicate it here.

Password (possibly encrypted); NULL if none. If the user's password
was encrypted by CREATE ROLE, this column will contain the string
'md5' followed by a 32-character hexadecimal md5 hash. The md5 hash
will be of the user's password concatenated to their username (for
example, if user joe has password xyzzy, PostgreSQL will store the md5
hash of xyzzyjoe).

...with the words "CREATE ROLE" as a link to that page.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company