pass-through query crash using MSAccess front-end

From: Rick Shory <rickshory(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pass-through query crash using MSAccess front-end
Date: 2010-10-11 16:38:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am experimenting with using MS Access as a front-end for Postgres.
Pass-through queries will be core to what I need to do. In setting
the query properties, I select the data source (a file data source).
In the "PostGreSQL Connection" dialog, when I enter the password and
click "OK", something occurs that completely crashes Access.

This has happened consistently at least half a dozen times. The SQL
statement is very simple: "SELECT * FROM dat;" I can link to the
table "dat" from Access, and I can import it into Access, and export a
copy to PostGres. That would seem to indicate the data source is set
up, and the password correct (the wrong password gets the "ODBC
failed" message but no crash).

I am using Access 2003 (11.5614.5606) under Windows XP Pro (Version
5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600). PostGresSQL is version 8.4. I
believe I am using the correct ODBC driver, "psqlodbc.msi" in
"psqlodbc_08_04_0200.zip". I would upgrade to PostGres 9.0 if I could
expect that to be anything but a shot in the dark.

Any ideas?