Re: Transportation from Frankfurt to Stuttgart for pday.eu

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transportation from Frankfurt to Stuttgart for pday.eu
Date: 2010-10-12 13:19:25
Lists: pgeu-general

Conni, Susanne,

That's extremely helpful, thank you both.

On 12 October 2010 12:46, Susanne Ebrecht <miracee(at)web(dot)de> wrote:

> FRA isn't CDG ... of course at the airport you will find all stuff
> additionally in English and not only in German.

Yes, it certainly was my experience that English speakers are well
accommodated while I was in Berlin last month....There is only so many
times you can sheepishly smile at someone in a foreign country as if
to say "I'm completely bewildered, please help me", and I think that I
reached that limit when I was in Paris last year :-)

> My experience is that intercontinental flights are cheaper when they are via
> FRA but not end in FRA.
>
> The flight from FRA to STR will be a train. Lufthansa/United (star alliance)
> won't take planes here. They have an agreement with German Train company
> (DB) that for the flights Frankfurt - Stuttgart and Frankfurt - Cologne a
> train is used instead of plane.
>
> Of course this train won't cost you extra money because you are using it
> with your boarding card.
>
> When I have to take a train after landing on an airport in Germany I never
> book it in advance.
> Usually, my planes are not in time ... either they are much earlier
> (especially when traveling from US) or later.
>
> Means even when I would book in advance I would need to pay the full prise
> at the end.
> So I don't book in advance and just buy the ticket after I landed.
>
> For buying ticket at the airport you either need Euro or a credit card. They
> don't accept Dollar.

I'm actually travelling from Dublin, so most of that doesn't apply to
me - I suppose I'll just buy the ticket when I land anyway.

>> 2. How close is the DB Bahn Frankfurt(Main)Hbf train station to FRA
>> terminal 2?
>>

> You don't want to travel to main station first.  You want to take the direct
> train from airport to Stuttgart.
>
> It is just some walking distance in the airport.
> I expect that there are signs which you just need to follow.
> Look for red written "DB" sign ...

That's what I'll do. Thanks again.

--
Regards,