Re: Invalid YAML output from EXPLAIN

From: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Invalid YAML output from EXPLAIN
Date: 2010-06-09 07:51:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On 9 June 2010 07:58, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I prefer my patch - but then I suppose I would say that :-)

Seriously though, I can think of a number of good arguments in favour
of the "quote all string values unconditionally" approach:

- It's the simplest, least obtrusive fix to our code.
- It's the least likely to have bugs in our code.
- It's the least likely to lead to bugs in client code.
- It gives clean, consistent output (IMO).
- It's the easiest to machine parse (marginally).
- Strings are always strings.
- It's still perfectly human readable.
- Re arguments about mailers chopping it up, it's easier to piece
together again if you know all long lines end with a double quote.

I love Florian's example, because it illustrates that there are all
sorts of YAML output that we *could* produce that would be technically
equivalent. However, I think this is a case of the simplest solution
being the best.

Regards,
Dean