Re: Error with GIT Repository

From: Daniel Farina <drfarina(at)acm(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)noblis(dot)org>, "Luxenberg, Scott I(dot)" <Scott(dot)Luxenberg(at)noblis(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Error with GIT Repository
Date: 2010-06-30 22:22:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>>> Especially if someone has a clue how to do it. The last time I fixed
>>> it by runnin repack, but that didn't work this time. I have no clue
>>> why it's asking for a file that doesn't exist.
>> Does the repo run  'update-server-info'  in some hook?
>
> Yup, it runs after every time it pulls from cvs.

Is this still a problem? I was just noticing this thread
unceremoniously died, and a long time ago now I remembering discussing
a problem involving the Postgres git mirror accumulating packfiles
eternally. It seemed that whatever repacking scheme was used would get
rid of loose objects, turning them into packs but never consolidate
packs.

Why not just run 'git gc'? This is probably the only quasi-regularly
required maintenance command, so much so that git (I think) runs it
from time to time when certain thresholds are passed in modern day.
(For a clone-source it is probably a good idea to run it a bit more
liberally)

fdr