Re: ERROR: could not access status of transaction

From: raghu ram <raghuchennuru(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stevie <stevieg(at)web(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: could not access status of transaction
Date: 2011-03-24 13:43:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Stevie <stevieg(at)web(dot)de> wrote:

> Hello pgsql-admins,
>
> we have a problem with our Postgresql 9.0.3 backup database (Ubuntu 10.4).
> The backup and restore is done as described here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/continuous-archiving.html
> If you want to know the exact steps of backup and restore,please ask.
>
> We restore the database on the backup host and it's starting. I've append
> the mainlog.
>
> If we dump or reindex the database we get "could not access status of
> transaction NNNNNN" errors.
> PG tries to access old clog files: "pg_clog/00CD". But in the pg_clog
> directory the files start at "00E6" and end at "0198".
> I've append the pg_controldata output. This clog files doesn't exist on the
> original database neither.
>
> I could create empty clog files, but it seems that our database is in an
> inconsistent state?
> Any suggestions are welcome.

There is a commit log corruption in your database. You need to make the
files with right size (256K of zeroes).A suitable "dd" from /dev/zero will
accomplish this on modernUnixen (ie, anything that has /dev/zero). Filling
of those files with zeroes nothing but " all those old transactions are
aborted".

The safest way to resolve the issue by using the below command:-

dd if=/dev/zero of=Transaction_missing_file_of pg_clog bs=256K count=1 (To
make the uncommitted record as they haven't been committed).

--Raghu Ram