Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?

From: Sandeep Srinivasa <sss(at)clearsenses(dot)com>
To: John Gage <jsmgage(at)numericable(dot)fr>
Cc: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail(at)webthatworks(dot)it>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?
Date: 2010-07-30 03:56:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 3:05 AM, John Gage <jsmgage(at)numericable(dot)fr> wrote:

> Shopping carts, company blogs, etc. Popular pieces of software.
>
> As common denominators go, that's pretty low.
>
> Perhaps what is needed is a dumbed down version of Postgres.

I dont think that is what is required - as I mentioned above, developers who
work on php+mysql dont do it because they are dumb. A LOT of clients,
specifically ask for it (similarly for J2EE) because there is a huge amount
of talent available. Ruby on Rails is getting there.

But the MySQL camp has been innovating - Percona, XtraDB, MariaDB - all of
them are going beyond the legacy MySQL architecture, yet retaining language
compatibility.

All of them get the ecosystem for free.

What Postgres needs is a "dumbed-down" ecosystem, rather than the DB itself.
As you mentioned above, these are low common denominators, but that
denominator makes 90% of usage in the real world. They need help from you
guys to make choices which include Postgres.
Hang out in the popular software forums and help us in using Postgres +
<whatever >, because there is simply too much FUD about PG and too much love
for every other db.

regards
Sandeep