How to load a dump file into a DB

From: David Vargas <davidvargasmoya(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to load a dump file into a DB
Date: 2010-07-29 00:40:54
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I need to load a pgdump.sql file into a new Postgres db, but I'm totally not
being able to do it. I am no programmer, I have installed the latest
Postgres version for Windows, run the server, open psql. According to the
pg_dump documentation, I should just run the command "$ psql -d newdb -f
db.sql" into psql, but when I do it, nothing seems to be happening, I just
get a new "postgres=#" line right away. I did change the db and file names
to my names.

Can anybody give me any hint on how this should be done?? I've been
searching all around without success. Is pg_dump already installed with the
main installation? I even searched for a different way to convert this file
into a PG database, but could not find a tool to specifically do that.

Thanks a lot, any help will be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
David V.