Re: Documentation

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation
Date: 2010-09-24 08:38:20
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 10:29, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Documentation for pgAdmin is really weak right now. Just to take an
> example, I don't know where a plugin file is described.
>
> The real question is how we do this. Right now, the documentation is a
> set of HTML files. Which is fine for some people and not for others.
> Kind of hard to get a consistent style. Kind of hard to get a good PDF
> and CHM file out of it. Not sure we really need these formats, I'm sure
> we want a consistent style.
>
> The only way to get all these options, AFAICT, is to use Docbook. SGML
> or XML. I have no problem working with Docbook, but I'm not sure
> everyone feels the same. I really prefer XML because of the toolset we
> can use (which seems, at least to me, in much better shape than the SGML
> one).
>
> Anyone has better ideas?

I've chatted with Dave about this a couple of times lately. at the
time I suggested using RST and sphinx (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/). I
think this is a much nicer thing to work with than docbook. It might
not scale to as complex documentation (I'm not sure I'd like to see
the pg docs redone in it), but the pgadmin docs aren't that complex -
and probably shouldn't be.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/