Adivice on master - master replication.

From: Gregory Machin <gdm(at)linuxpro(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Adivice on master - master replication.
Date: 2010-10-28 22:42:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi
I'm new to Posgresql.
I have been requested to setup application level HA. The picture is, I
will have 2 web servers behind 2 new work load balancers, so should
one fail the NLB's will redirect traffic to the remaining server. I
need a similar scenario for the Pgsql servers.

From my reading I need a synchronise master - master. so both servers
need to be hot. Such that the web servers are unaware of which server
the are communicating with, so should one pgsql server go down there
would be no interruption to the web servers.

The processes need to be handled automagicly , well at least the fail
over where the one server takes over the failed servers work load.

Everything I have looked at has a single point of failure, generally
the management application that looks after the replication.

How do I achieve this .. I'm looking for a comprehensive howto .

Thanks