Re: [HACKERS] Docs for archive_cleanup_command are poor

From: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Docs for archive_cleanup_command are poor
Date: 2010-10-14 18:51:28
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On 15 October 2010 05:33, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 02:24 +1100, Brendan Jurd wrote:
>> I'll drop this onto the next open commitfest.  If it passes muster, it
>> sure wouldn't hurt to backpatch it to 9.0.
>
> Committed. Not sure there's anything there worth backpatching? There
> aren't any doc bugs there.

Thanks for the commit Simon.

Agreed that there are no doc bugs. The reason I suggested a backpatch
is that I'm concerned that a lot of people are going to be approaching
the whole Standby topic for the first time with 9.0, so it would be
nice to give those folks an accessible account of how
archive_cleanup_command is meant to be used.

I was also working from the assumption that the "we only packpatch bug
fixes" policy applied to the code, not so much to the documentation.
If I was in error about that, well fair enough then.

Cheers,
BJ