Re: hstore ==> and deprecate =>

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hstore ==> and deprecate =>
Date: 2010-06-17 21:26:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 4:50 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>>> If what that operator is doing is appending an array of text to an
>>> Hstore, shouldn't we use || instead?
>>
>> It isn't.  || already does what you're saying.
>
> So what *does* it do?
>
> OK, so after a brief poll on IRC, one reason you're not getting coherent
> feedback on this is that few people understand the operators which
> hstore 9.0 already uses and which are new for 9.0, let alone what new
> operators are proposed for each thing.  I know I've completely lost
> track, particularly since doc patches haven't kept up with the code
> changes.  I've reread most of this thread and it doesn't help me.
>
> On the other hand, maybe less feedback is less bikeshedding.  You decide.

Well, they are documented, so you can read up on them...

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/hstore.html

This isn't a critical issue in desperate need of community input; we
just need to resolve it one way or the other so we can move on to the
next thing. I'm still inclined to go ahead and apply the patch I
attached upthread, because that is less work for me than doing
anything else...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company