Re: Replication server timeout patch

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication server timeout patch
Date: 2011-03-29 16:04:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>>> Should we use COMMERROR instead of ERROR if we fail to put the socket in the
>>> right mode?
>
>> Maybe.
>
> COMMERROR exists to keep us from trying to send an error report down a
> failed socket.  I would assume (perhaps wrongly) that
> walsender/walreceiver don't try to push error reports across the socket
> anyway, only to the postmaster log.  If correct, there is no need for
> COMMERROR, and using it just muddies the code.

I don't think that's how it works. The error the server sends is
copied into some of the messages in the client log, which is really
useful for debugging.

ERROR: can't connect to the server (server said: you're not authorized)

...or something like that.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company