Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop

From: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso(dot)camargo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop
Date: 2010-08-30 16:09:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi!

Thanks you all for this great amount of information!

What memory/motherboard (ie, chipset) is installed on the phenom ii one?

it looks like it peaks to ~6.2GB/s with 4 threads.

Also, what kernel is on it? (uname -a would be nice).

Now, this looks like sustained memory speed, what about random memory
access (where latency comes to play an important role):
http://icl.cs.utk.edu/projectsfiles/hpcc/RandomAccess/

I don't have any of these systems to test, but it would be interesting
to get the random access benchmarks too, what do you think? will the
result be the same?

Once again, thanks!

Sincerely,

Ildefonso Camargo