Re: pgAdmin III: the debugger does not pre-populate default values for arguments

From: Nikhil S <nixmisc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III: the debugger does not pre-populate default values for arguments
Date: 2011-02-11 16:11:33
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

> > Note that if there are no default values, the the defvals column is
> > completely empty. Now why we see the "" for non-default arguments - the
> > issue seems to be on the server side in the contrib module calls to
> compute
> > the default values.
>
> We need to change that then - we can't have the missing default values
> default to something that's not valid for that datatype. Change them
> to null or just empty them?

Hmmm, well variables can default to NULL too. The backend code tries to
track those variables which default to NULL or to other values. For the
rest, it defaults them to "". It then uses construct_md_array to generate
the output string for type TEXTOID. Dunno if we can have nothing (an empty
string) as valid TEXTOID output. I guess it's a limitation for this type.
Let me see if we can do something here on the backend side...

Regards,
Nikhils